RANTS: You've Heard of Google, Right?

Photo by Andre Hunter

The majority of us are on some form of social media from the time we wake up until we fall asleep.  Oh come on, no doubt you've lost feeling in your arms while in bed "unwinding," holding an illuminated device in your face and scrolling twitter / creeping on insta / seeing if that kid that made you cry in seventh grade has gone bald yet (he DID!!!). What about when you doze off only to be jarred back to consciousness by your phone smacking you in the face?  <raises hand> Guilty!

So, I get it.  It's a default mode for most of us to post immediately to social media -- "this is great," "can you believe...," "awww, look who died," "i'm on VACATION!" But for the love of the baby cheeses, puh-LEAZZZZZE stop posting the random questions that can be immediately and easily answered by TYPING THE SAME THING INTO GOOGLE.

Now look, I'm not talking about things like "Hey, what's a great sushi place in the village?" That is a recommendation, and it makes perfect sense that you might query your friends / family and rely on their personal experiences (and I take my sushi VERY seriously).  The same goes for the "what should I binge watch on Netflix?"  Again, an educated recommendation can make all the difference -  I ALSO take my "couch time" very seriously.

Photo by rawpixel.com

What I'm referring to (and get an increasingly severe case of agita over), are the "When does the Last Jedi come out?" or "What time are the Oscars?" or "How much are tickets to XYZ game?" or "What's the deadline for such and such?"  THESE ARE SIMPLE QUESTIONS THAT ARE EASILY ANSWERED BY GOING TO GOOGLE.  You are LITERALLY holding the device IN YOUR HAND that can ANSWER this question for you.  In FACT, for all the time you spent TYPING THAT INTO FACEBOOK, you could have GOOGLED it and be on with your life.  WHY should someone else have to do this for you? Are you going to sit there and wait for someone to see you post, answer it, and then just hope or assume they are right when you CAN JUST GOOGLE IT???  I mean FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING NERDY!?!?!?? I know... b r e a t h e.    

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world, and perhaps I'll be able to focus a bit on them now that I have this off my chest.  In the event this process is confusing for anyone you know, feel free to provide them this handy link ( http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=advanced+google+search+tips ) !  Whew!  I feel better already.

CLICK HERE FOR THE MAGIC OF "LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU"